Salary: $125,000 - $165,000
At Stack Overflow , our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. We’re not there yet, which is why we’re hoping you can join us and help!
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll support a team of developers as an active servant leader. You’ll make sure that the members of your team have the skills, direction, and information they need to build great products, and you’ll work to build a diverse team and inclusive culture that brings out the best in everyone.
We’re a remote-first team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office, you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Trello, Slack, GitHub, Hangouts). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, for this position you’ll need to have a wide coverage from Europe to West Coast US, so you’ll be expected to work roughly New York time zone hours.
What we’re looking for:
- Gets-Things-Done Dev Background : You have a solid full-stack web development background (5+ years). It may be a few years since you’ve been a dev, but you still have a pragmatic attitude to technology and know how to take on complex projects and get them done.
- Manager and Coach : You’re an experienced manager (3+ years) who loves helping other people get better at their job. You have a knack for helping people see their problem in a new light and guiding them to a solution, and you make an excellent rubber ducky.
- Cross-Team Facilitator : You like working with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly. You dive into communication problems and conflict, and you know when to create and modify existing process and practice to move things forward. You’re fluent in translating developer-to-business speak (and back), and comfortable working across a wide variety of teams, from Product Managers to Design, Site Reliability, Marketing, Sales, and more.
- Collaborative and Inclusive : You have a track record of creating an inclusive and collaborative engineering culture. You help build understanding and empathy within your team, and actively work to bring people into the conversation and understand their viewpoint.
What you’ll do:
- Remotely manage a team of 8-10 developers ranging from junior to very senior. Continuously develop your team through coaching and feedback, and recruit new team members as needed.
- Collaborate with product management and design on roadmaps and make sure the right devs are lined up for the right projects. Proactively identify and remove roadblocks.
- Review technical specs and implementation with your team, and help the team set a high bar for code quality. Work with PMs to make sure technical debt is prioritized and planned for.
- Create and refine internal processes that help people communicate and collaborate more effectively, and increase quality and velocity over time.
- Advocate for your team and ensure they have everything they need to do their jobs.
What we value:
- Servant Leadership : The best managers lead by empowering and inspiring their team to do their best work.
- Collaboration : The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency : Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion : We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and managers who foster an open and inclusive culture.
When you apply… Please include an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
What you’ll get in return:
- Ability to work remotely, with flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.