The Data Engineering team at GitHub is looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing team and build out the next generation of our platform. The ideal candidate is a hands-on platform builder with significant experience in developing scalable data platforms. We’re looking for someone with experience in business intelligence, analytics, data science and data products. They must have strong, firsthand technical expertise in a variety of configuration management and big data technologies and the proven ability to fashion robust scalable solutions that can manage large data sets. They must be at ease working in an agile environment with little supervision. This person should embody a passion for continuous improvement and test-driven development. If you have a passion for software and data and GitHub we’d love to talk to you.
Responsibilities for our Software Engineer
- Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Design and develop a processing platform using various configuration management technologies.
- Test software development methodology in an agile environment.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with data scientists, business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Work alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices.
- Work with application engineers to build product features that use GitHub’s data
- Collaborate with teammates to design data pipelines and APIs, seeking and offering feedback along the way
- Work across many languages including Java and Python
- Share responsibility for the availability and performance of our team’s systems
- Participate in the on-call rotation.
Qualifications for our Software Engineer
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You have experience developing on Git and GitHub.
- You’ve built software using several different programming languages
- You’re passionate about software design and have good testing skills
- You have operational experience with data pipelines and distributed systems
- You’re able to empathize with a diverse set of engineers
- You have a good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances.
- You have hands-on experience working with technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Map Reduce, Spark, Presto, Sqoop, Kafka, Airflow etc.
- You have strong DevOps focus and experience building and deploying infrastructure with cloud deployment technologies like puppet etc.
- You have experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks.
- You are fluent with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- You are capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
- We’re looking for someone with 6-8 years of experience in B2B and is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Experience with infrastructure automation technologies like Docker, Vagrant, etc.
- Experience with build automation technologies like Maven, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience with monitoring technologies like Nagios, Datadog, etc.
- Experience with modern programming languages like Python, Java and the JVM.
- Experience with building APIs and services using REST.
- Experience writing and maintaining shell scripts.
- Experience with authentication/authorization protocols like Oauth2, LDAP, Kerberos, etc.
Who We Are
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Recruiter!