Senior Java Engineer
REMOTE (Anywhere in the USA)
Life360 is a platform for today’s busy families, bringing them closer together by helping them better sync, communicate with and protect the people they care about most.
Our mobile app provides millions of families in over 140 countries with services such as private location sharing, location history, drive details, crash detection, roadside assistance and help alerts through our free and paid membership subscription.
Founded in 2008, Life360 is based in San Francisco with offices in San Diego, Las Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale.
Life360 has raised +$100M from investors such as Bessemer Venture Partners, DCM, Fontinalis Partners, BMW iVentures, Allstate, Bullpen Capital, Founders Fund (FF Angel), Launch Capital, Kapor Capital, and 500 startups.
For more information, visit us at life360.com
About the Job
- Our platform team ensures that our API’s are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You’ll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- Engage with feature developers to ensure code is written with performance, scale, and maintainability in mind.
- Use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- Wear 2 billion requests per day like it’s a comfortable pair of pants, traffic doesn’t make you nervous.
You’re that someone with these relevant skills:
- Code polyglot: we primarily use Java, Scala and PHP, with some Python, Go.
- Be proficient in at least two of these languages.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- Agile software development experience
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- A desire to bring innovative solutions to the challenges of scaling the API and platform
Some of the things you’ll do:
- Build services in Java, Scala and PHP
- Conduct technical and code reviews and approve pull requests
- Take specs and translate them into reality
Other things we love about you:
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience required
- Strong attention to detail
- Professional that understands the importance of craftsmanship and incremental delivery
- Comfortable with the uncertainty of working with new technologies
- Strong and clear communicator that can listen to their team as well as clearly articulate their ideas
- A sense of humor and the ability not to take yourself too seriously
Even better if you have:
- Experience developing services to support data streams
- Experience with columnar databases (Cassandra)
- Experience with relational databases (MySql)
- Experience with AWS (EC2, S3, Kinesis, etc.)
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401k plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done.