Senior React Native Developer
TELECOMMUTE Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Quimbee is growing! We’re looking to add a new full-time member to our core team. This position is 100% remote. All you need is an internet connection and a quiet place to work.
Who We Are
Quimbee is one of the most widely used e-learning platforms for law students in the United States. Simply put, our mission is to help law students get A’s in their law school courses.
Since 2007, Quimbee has helped over a hundred thousand law students prepare for classes and final exams. We provide law students with access to a comprehensive database of case summaries, video lessons, practice questions, a legal dictionary, and a growing library of content. We have become one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving both institutional clients, such as Yale University, American University, and University of Illinois, as well as thousands of individual law students.
We prefer a small and highly effective engineering team, so every new team member is vital to the success of the company.
Who We’re Looking For
You have to have a special care for writing maintainable and reusable code that every developer on our team can work with and an ability to collaborate well with cross-functional teams.
You’ll join a small tech team, so your voice will be heard when we need to make new technical decisions as our product grows. We expect you to go beyond coding to give input on the product roadmap, design, and architecture.
We look for:
- An experienced mobile developer. You have lots of experience building hybrid mobile applications and ideally at least some experience with native development with iOS and Android platforms. You’re also comfortable writing HTML and CSS.
- A self-starter. You take responsibility for projects from idea to completion, proactively seeking assistance as needed while guiding the work to successful outcomes.
- A versatile engineer. You know what you don’t know and feel comfortable learning new skills. You’re not ashamed of recognizing mistakes and take measures to avoid falling again.
- A team player. You share code ownership as much as possible. You don’t mind fixing other people’s code or stepping in to help a teammate.
- A minimalist. You believe a new feature should be built only when the evidence supports it. You’re willing to push back when you believe this rule is being ignored or violated.
- A great communicator. You communicate your ideas, feedback, and criticism thoroughly, clearly, and courteously. You believe there’s no such thing as over-explaining or over-clarifying because that’s how miscommunication is avoided.
- A business-minded engineer. You have deep understanding of the importance of building maintainable, efficient, clean code, while balancing that with the urgency of the business needs.
Working with us, you could be asked to (solo or as part of a team):
- Investigate issues reported by our customer support or QA teams, determine impact and root cause, then prioritize and solve them.
- Discuss new features with our product team and help define the best solutions possible with a focus on the business needs and expected timelines.
- Participate in the scheduled planning meetings to discuss and estimate work for the upcoming iteration.
- Develop new features and improve existing ones.
- Grow and maintain our suite of automated tests.
- B.S. computer science or related field
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience developing and publishing hybrid or native mobile apps for both iOS and Android
- 1+ years of experience with React Native
- Experience implementing state management with MobX (preferred) or Redux
- Experience with ES6, Webpack (or similar), Babel (or similar)
- Experience writing automated tests (we use Jest and Detox)
- Experience with at least one programming language other than JS
- HTML5 & CSS fluency
- Extensive Git (or similar) experience solving complex merging conflicts
- Know how the web works under the hood: TCP, HTTP, DNS, IP, caches, etc.
- Solid knowledge of OOP, software architecture and design patterns
- Native fluency in English
- Automatic building/deployment services like Fastlane, etc.
- Designing and implementing APIs for mobile apps
- Implementing SaaS applications or subscription-based businesses generally
- Contributing to Open Source
- Working in distributed teams
What We Offer
- Join a small team who loves what they do.
- 100% remote work for unlimited flexibility.
- A competitive salary.
- Untracked paid time off and sick leave.
- Healthcare coverage (including dental) for you and your family (U.S. employees only).
- 401(k) with 3% company matching (U.S. employees only).