The Scoring Platform team builds and maintains machine learning technologies to empower millions of users - readers, contributors, and donors - who contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects on a daily basis. We address process inefficiencies with machine learning technologies, we design and test new technology, we produce empirical insights, and we publish and present research of the intersection of technology and culture. We are strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy and collaboration. We use free and open source technology and we collaborate with researchers in the industry and academia.
As a Senior Software Engineer of the Scoring Platform team, you will help us build and scale our machine prediction service, train new machine learning models, and implement other data-intensive applications. You’ll travel to conferences to interact with researchers and volunteer contributors to Wikimedia Projects. You’ll translate abstractions from current research and volunteers needs into concrete technologies and we’ll learn about the impacts of those technologies together.
As a senior software engineer, we’d like you to do these things:
- Be responsible for research, design, and implementation of Scoring Platform’s data intensive infrastructure and APIs
- Collaborate with researchers and product managers to bring forward foundational technologies for new products
- Coordinate and communicate with other members of the Wikimedia engineering teams on relevant projects
- Organize internal documentation efforts and mentor other staff in various aspects of Scoring Platform infrastructure and services
- Work in coordination with volunteer developers, editors, and researchers to understand their needs.
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:
- Senior level engineering mindset and strong experience in Linux ecosystems
- Real world experience writing horizontally scalable web applications
- Understanding or willingness to learn basic statistics, machine learning, and/or data analysis techniques.
- Demonstrable experience developing and debugging web applications
- Strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information science, or equivalent work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:
- Experience participating in open source software projects and communities
- Familiarity with scientific computing libraries in Python or R.
- Experience working with collaborating in online spaces (chatrooms, web forums, etc.)
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501©(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record