Senior Site Reliability Engineer - Observability
USA Offices or USA Remote
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Sr. Site Reliability Engineer - Observability, Platform Engineering
The Sr. Site Reliability Engineer will be a key member of the Platform Engineering team focused on scaling and supporting our observability platform across Fastly’s technology stack. You will be working with our Data Pipeline, Edge Command Center, and Application Engineering teams, and your experience in logging, metrics, and synthetic tracing will be critical in this role to help Fastly scale.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Improving and growing our Prometheus deployments and scaling out our Graphite infrastructure
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve performance and reliability issues as it relates to Prometheus and Graphite systems
- Build dashboards for insights and visibility into critical business metrics
- Participate in incident reviews to create improved alerts for detection and potential proactive mitigation
- Instrument and integrate monitoring and alerting into Fastly’s systems to gain better insights into systems supporting our customers
What We’re Looking For:
- 4+ years experience running high availability systems and supporting distributed infrastructure
- Experience with open-source monitoring tools such as Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus etc., or other tools such as Datadog, New Relic, and more
- Experience with programming languages such as Go, Ruby or Python
- Expert understanding of Linux systems, high and low level
- Passionate about creating great self-service developer experience
- Great oral and written communication skills
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customershave a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We’re a Global Company. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of our SF headquarters! An international culture is part of our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.