At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, or find new jobs, we build products that affect millions of developers’ lives every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where everyone feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. We’re not there yet, which is why we’re hoping you’ll join us!
As an Internal Support Engineer (ISE) you are a vital member of the internal IT team. Working remotely, or out of our headquarters in New York, you’ll build tools to deploy, automate and monitor infrastructure and services used by our employees. This role is for a seasoned IT professional that loves to solve problems that help their coworkers be faster and more efficient at their jobs, who knows the landscape of existing tools available and when to use them, and who isn’t afraid to dive into a bit of code when the existing tools don’t match our needs.
- System Administration: You’ve been responsible a fleet of systems. You’ve had to deploy something to those systems. You’ve been a domain admin or had root privilege and know those things come with great responsibility.
- Comfortable in Code: You have strong scripting skills (e.g. Bash or Powershell), and are familiar with at least 1 modern, non-scripting programming language (we use mostly C# And Python). You’re comfortable using source control and asking coworkers for code reviews.
- Project Management: You can take a solution from an idea to a working tool. Often solutions involve cross-team collaboration without a clear task list.
- Get Things Done: You have great time-management skills. You get really excited about how to organize a workflow, and have built strong personal tools for tracking your own work and breaking big projects down into bite-size chunks.
- People focused: You like helping people. You enjoy teaching, learning and the collaborative exchange involved in sharing knowledge. People feel good when you’re helping them.
What you’ll do:
- Manage Alerts and Data collection for IT Systems in our monitoring system.
- Manage automation of Active Directory and G Suite.
- Deploy and Manage Windows and CentOS systems on Vmware ESXI
- Manage automation of deployment for both Windows and Mac computers.
- Work with Site Reliability Engineers to commit code changes on shared services like puppet and DNS, and HAProxy.
- Document remediation steps for common infrastructure and service outages.
- Work with the Help Desk team to solve advanced tickets and projects.
What we’re looking for:
6-years of education or relevant work experience / certifications. For example:
- 4-year degree in Information Technology (or related), plus 2 years of experience, or:
- 2-year degree plus 4 years of work experience, or:
- no degree but 6 years of experience and relevant certifications.
Deployment level knowledge of both Windows and Mac operating systems
Administration experience with Active Directory / Google Cloud Directory Services
In-depth experience with one or more of the following programming/scripting languages:
Administration Experience with Mac OS X or Linux
Comfortable with building servers in both virtual and physical environments
Excellent prioritization and time management skills, great verbal and written communication skills, and a strong interest in continued growth.
It would also be nice to have:
- Experience with Azure, AWS or GCE
- Experience with or a strong interest in Docker and containers
- Experience with G-Suite administration
What you’ll get in return:
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- A budget for continuing education and personal development
- (If in NY) An office with great amenities, including an espresso bar, and free lunch every day prepared by our in-house chefs
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
How to apply:
Please include an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.