Senior Database Automation Engineer
At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Community, Growth, Passion, Team and Trust - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
Are you a savvy developer with strong automation experience who is passionate about database administration, performance tuning, backup and recovery, and scalability?
Do you have a knack for teaching, mentoring others, and sharing your knowledge?
Do you love Linux systems?
If you answered yes to most of the questions above, you may be interested in applying for the Senior Database Engineer position. You will find all the information you need below.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- You will build out automation to address database problems like failovers, backups, restores, schema changes, and performance tuning.
- You will also be responsible for guiding your fellow engineers so they can be their own Database Administrators.
- You will take part in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Passion for databases and their maintenance, management, and scalability challenges. Deeply interested in databases and wish to become a database specialist.
- You believe automation is the most appropriate way to address problems at scale.
- You are a learner. You love learning new things every day and you get ecstatic when you can apply new knowledge to build new solutions to old problems.
- You have an interest in data and databases, and are willing to learn and grow a career in this field.
- You have at least two years of experience as a developer. You can write proper code in at least one scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Ruby. Bonus points if you have used Bash, and even more if you know a bit of SQL.
- You have experience with a configuration management or orchestration system. More points if you’ve (ab)used Chef before.
- You have some Linux knowledge and maybe some previous experience with Ubuntu or Debian.
- Experience with ElasticSearch, and Kafka.
- Experience with Object Relational Mappers (ActiveRecord, SQLalchemy, Hibernate, etc).
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full stay technical’ career track.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.