Title: Staff Accountant
Location: Bethesda, MD, United States
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Job Desc: Marriott International is the worlds largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of the Americas Finance team, the Staff Accountant will report to the Manager of Finance, Cluster Services in the Business Finance & Administration & Cluster Services group and will provide accounting expertise to support the day-to-day financial and operational management of the team in the area of Cluster Service accounting, reporting, processes, and controls. The primary focus of this position is providing accounting administration support for the Cluster Service model for all of the disciplines in the division with a focus on the following:
- Support Monthly Close process and prepare journal entries
- Provide support for the annual budget process for the assigned units within the Cluster Services Group
- Ensure compliance with MIP-44
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts and conduct P&L reviews
- Perform general ledger processing and provide reports
This person will focus on Cluster Services for the discipline team; however, he/she may also perform duties that relate to other disciplines as well, as business needs require.
- Record and process transactions accurately and timely.
- Review units general ledgers during period close with Non-Sales Cluster leaders to ensure reasonable and accurate.
- Provide support/reviews and critiques period results.
- Conducts asset and liability reconciliations.
- Prepare JE’s related to Non-Sales Units (includes all standard period close entries as well as any re-classes & charge outs)
- Review Profit and Loss Statements for accuracy
- Review expense reports; prepares JE’s & OFB as needed
- Reconcile Balance Sheet accounts in accordance with SOPs and prepare for quarterly review.
- Provide accounting support for annual forecasting/budget process for units under his/her responsibility which includes preparation of detail forecast/budgets, and allocations.
- Ensure P&L are accurate; costs are recorded properly and statements distributed to the appropriate stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Partner with Cluster Unit leaders and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with MIP-44.
- Ensure all assets are recorded and depreciated in the appropriate units and in accordance with Corporate policy.
- Support a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations, profitability and mitigate risk.
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or related field.
- 3+ years of relevant accounting/finance experience.
- Marriott experience as a hotel Assistant Director of Finance a plus
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures, and techniques of accounting, and of financial records and transactions including, but not limited to, generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong communications (verbal and written), organization and presentation skills
- Proficient knowledge of Excel required
- Knowledge of operating procedures, controls and governances
- Ability to leverage resources in the accomplishment of objectives
- Exceptional organizational skills. Effective in prioritizing work and following through on commitments. Project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work with and communicate effectively with all levels of management
- Effective decision-making skills, can choose a prompt course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages innovative solutions when appropriate
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external customers. Collaborative approach with market teams and business partners
- Effective change management skills
- Actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal and professional growth; shares knowledge and expertise with others
- High degree of initiative and ability to work effectively in teams or independently
- Experience rolling out change initiatives within the organization
- This position may be based at Corporate Headquarters or remote.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full-Time