Location: Somerville, MA/Portland, OR/Remote (US)
At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and power the premier online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and make giving online as easy as possible. Since 2004, campaigns and organizations across the country have raised over $3 billion using our tools, with an average contribution size of $40. Thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations to local school board members count on our fundraising tools to fuel their organizing work.
If you’ve ever given online to a Democratic candidate or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our software. With the 2020 elections already on the horizon, we re busier than ever helping small-dollar donors resist Trump s administration.
We are seeking a talented Product Designer with in-depth experience designing for complex web applications. Your portfolio should demonstrate the ability to conduct UX strategy and execute visual design throughout the product life cycle: from sketching big picture flows during feature discovery brainstorms to generating true-to-size screen designs and production-ready assets for technical development. We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing colleagues talking about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits. You could work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., our Somerville, MA HQ, or from our Portland, Oregon office.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Guide user experience strategy and information architecture for key areas of ActBlue’s fundraising platform
- Suggest enhancements to existing features and present a clear design approach to stakeholders with the appropriate level of big picture, must-have objectives over optional, wish-list items
- Deftly facilitate design discussions and proactively provide insights that yield creative solutions to big challenges
- Own end-to-end feature design and produce the necessary design specs or visual assets for collaborating teams, such as engineering and marketing
- Champion best practice UX principles and cultivate consistent application of these principles during the product development life-cycle
- Partner with other designers, UX engineers, and the product team to evolve ActBlue’s product design philosophy and approach
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- 5+ years design experience working on high-traffic web applications or SaaS products
- 3+ years experience in information architecture or UX design with deep knowledge of web standards for both maintaining compatibility and using future-forward technologies
- Wide skill set that allows you take a project from start to nearly finished. You re comfortable sketching on-the-spot or creating wireframes and high-fidelity mocks for in-depth review.
- Knack for thinking in terms of systems, marked by an ability to make design decisions that scale and result in reusable patterns, palettes, and components
- Strong time management skills: a drive to create pixel-perfect designs and the best-possible user experience, with an understanding of how to prioritize certain feature aspects when time gets tight
- Strong team skills: You keep the end user in mind and enjoy hearing feedback from your teammates, yet know when and how to respectfully defend your own ideas.
- The ability to use your development knowledge to design features that are not only user-friendly, but also technically feasible. You collaborate with other engineers when you have questions about what is technically feasible.
- The ability to work autonomously, conduct research, and provide solutions for product improvements with minimal guidance.
- Interest in progressive politics
Candidates should provide a web or PDF portfolio, or at the very least be willing to show examples of your work during the interview process. Your portfolio should demonstrate a strong ability to problem solve and an eye for clean, user-friendly design. Be ready to discuss the life cycle of a project, from when you first started working on it to when it eventually shipped.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
We re a small (but growing!) team that has a big impact on the future of our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you’re interested, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Follow us on:
Twitter: @ActBlue & @ActBlueTech
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits; fully paid health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.