Software Engineering Lead (Angular 2+ or CLI, .NET Core, Docker, AWS, NoSQL, Terraform)
IT/Technical & Product Development
Elsevier, the global informatics and analytics business is the fourth largest digital paid content provider in the world behind Google, Bloomberg, and China Telecom. Our cutting-edge technology platforms enable scientists, health professionals, and research students to make critical decisions, enhance productivity, and improve patient outcomes. Our team is made up of over 1400 of the world’s best technologists around the globe including our key US hub in Philadelphia.
Reporting to the Manager, Software Engineering we have now have an opportunity for an ambitious and talented individual to take the role of Lead Software Engineer to join our Transition to Practice team. This new platform is focused on building solutions that support the newly graduated nurses transition to professional practice through the virtual e-learning simulation and employee engagement. As a new product in the Performance Management portfolio in the pilot phase, this role offers huge scope for the successful candidate to drive change and innovation through their involvement at the research & discovery phase; by providing direct input in to the end state product and in the building of the machine learning/data analytics components.
In addition to writing code on complex systems and applications, the Lead Software Engineer provides direction on project plans, schedules, and methodologies. This person will lead an empowered agile development squad of four with further expansion planned.
Our culture is focused on clear goals, is highly collaborative, diverse and mutually supportive while offering career growth and flexible working opportunities. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of successfully leading a team, with a strong emphasis on communication.
- Work closely with other development team members to understand moderately complex product requirements and translate them into software designs.
- Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews.
- Interface with other technical personnel or team members to finalize user stories.
- Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of system components of moderate complexity.
- Resolve complex technical issues as necessary including the completion of complex bug fixes.
- Design and work with complex data models.
- Serve as the initial point of escalation for software development issues within specific area of responsibility.
- Mentor and/or train entry-level software engineers as directed by department management, ensuring they are knowledgeable in critical aspects of their roles.
- Manage and encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
- Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- Ability to partner and lead internal and external technology resources in solving complex business needs.
- Operate in various development environments (Agile, etc.) while collaborating with key stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of new technology developments.
- Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure all staff are provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible.
- Ensure all staff are provided with frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Technical Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of Software Engineering experience delivering high quality, high performance software at scale
- Proficiency in development languages including but not limited to: Angular 2+ or CLI, .NET Core, Docker, AWS, ECS, SQL and Dynamo DB
- Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies particularly Agile.
- Strong knowledge of web applications structures and tiers
- Experience with event sourcing
- Strong experience with NoSQL
- Strong experience with Terraform and Infrastructure as Code (IaaC) concepts
- Experience with System design
- Experience with microservice architecture/containerization
- Experienced in Continuous integration / Test-Driven Development
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required
- Preferably a Certified Scrum Master
- Experience with React a plus
- Experience with D3 a plus.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy.
Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.