Patient Record Abstractor CTR (100% Remote)
US Westwood, CA
M-F / 7am-3pm
Job Type: Contract
Duration: 16 months
$31.68 / $5512 - $41.80 / $7273
You can provide the tools necessary to deliver cutting-edge health care and groundbreaking research. As part of our Information Technology team, you’ll ensure that our medical professionals have access to the latest breakthroughs in technology, and you’ll play a key role in protecting our global patient community.
THIS IS A 100% REMOTE 16-MONTH CONTRACT POSITION. CANDIDATES MUST RESIDE OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. WE ARE RECRUITING FOR A TOTAL OF 5 OPENINGS.
- Abstract clinical and pathological information according to the specific detailed guidelines for each of the agencies named above in the summary statement and assign ICD-0 codes. Enter the information into the computerized Cancer Registry database.
- Assign the appropriate accession/sequence number to each reportable case.
- Assign the appropriate SEER Summary stage of disease for all analytic cases. Assign the appropriate TNM stage to all analytic cases and Extent of Disease (EOD)
- Read and review clinical information and medical record documents in the on-line Patient Centric Information Management System (PCIMS), and the original medical record (when necessary) to obtain and verify the clinical information to abstract into the cancer database.
- Abstract treatment information as required.
- Abstract information with a high degree of accuracy (less than 3% error rate as required by the California Cancer Registry.
- Review Dermatology, Pathology, Diagnostic Indexes, autopsy reports, Death Certificates, Bone Marrow and other source documents to determine reportability of cases
- Enter reportable identified cases into Cancer Registry suspension file for abstracting
- Act as resource on abstracting and reportability of cases for other Cancer Data Center staff
- Conduct Patient Care Evaluation studies as requested for ACoS approval
- Assist with reporting of data as assigned
- Assist with data requests from UCLA physician researchers as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Detailed knowledge of the American College of Surgeon standards, California Cancer Registry and SEER standards.
- Detailed knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, pathology, and disease processes.
- Detailed knowledge of ICD-0 coding classification scheme
- Successful completion of an approved Cancer Registry certification program.
- Ability to abstract clinical information from patient records and code data accurately into Cancer Registry database.
- Excellent organizational skills in maintaining Cancer Data files.
- Skill in prioritizing and performing a variety of duties within a system that has constantly changing priorities, assignments and deadlines.
- Detailed knowledge of laws, rules and regulations affecting the confidentiality of medical information.
- Skill in working independently and following through on assignments in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Skill in writing legibly and in using basic English words to complete concise documentation.
- Skill in speaking clearly and distinctly using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to obtain and convey information to individuals at various organizational levels and to the general public.
- Knowledge and understanding of functions and activities of various hospital departments contacted for source information to expeditiously coordinate follow up procedures.
- Ability to work independently and exercise appropriate decisions in determining follow up actions and complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to judge system/procedure malfunction/discrepancies and circumstances to be referred to supervisor for immediate action.