Buffer is in the midst of becoming a multi-product company, and Buffer Reply is an integral piece of this. Product Managers at Buffer work fluidly with engineering and product designers, conducting research and digging into data. We’re looking for someone to pioneer Reply to becoming a key Buffer product offering: forming a vision, breaking it down into strategy and priorities, and working daily to push forward and get results with the team.
FULL-TIME - REMOTE
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer. We’re united by Buffer’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences. As a remote team, we’re lucky to be have the chance to add teammates from anywhere in the world!
We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where underrepresented groups can flourish. People from non-traditional backgrounds are especially invited to apply!
More about Buffer Reply
Buffer Reply is our social media engagement product. We make it simple for marketing and support teams to respond to social conversations — all in one team inbox. Buffer Reply has 192 customers and is currently generating $40,000 per month, around 2.4% of Buffer’s total revenue. It’s outpacing overall company growth, at around 8% per month right now, and is poised to become a major contributor to Buffer’s bottom line.
Reply’s existing PM recently became our Head of Design, which is great for Buffer overall, but leaves a gap. We need someone well-rounded and entrepreneurial to fill this role and keep the momentum going for this new Buffer product.
More about the role
We’re looking for an experienced Product Manager to take a key leadership role in a relatively early product within the Buffer multi-product bundle. Key to this role is being somewhat of a generalist with enough design, engineering or research experience to dig in and contribute in a hands-on way alongside setting vision, prioritization and project management. Being successful in this role will require a level of comfort and ability to make product decisions without full data. A key accountability of this role will be the growth of revenue and customer-base, and innovation of the Buffer Reply product.
In this role you will report to the Chief Customer Officer who oversees Product Operations. Day to day you’ll work with Engineers, an Engineering Manager, and a Product Designer. You’ll also work closely with the CEO, Head of Design, our Customer Research Lead, and our Data team.
What you’ll do
- Help small businesses engage their audience on social media, reducing stress and increasing their productivity
- Formulate and articulate the product vision for Buffer Reply and make sure it is aligned with the overall company direction
- Keep a strong pulse on the social engagement market, staying on top of social network changes and innovation opportunities
- Successfully make tough prioritization decisions, balancing the need to hit a high quality bar with product advancements that range from small expansions to new innovation
- Perform a wide range of tasks depending on what’s needed to make the product and team successful: this could mean doing some QA, reproducing a bug, customer interviews or querying data
- Have a bias towards action and what can be done this week to improve the product and push Buffer forward, alongside ability to step back and see the big picture
- Live and breathe customer insights through interviews, data, and survey responses, to hone a strong intuition on what should be done next
- Be the voice of the customer and keep the rest of the team focused on surfacing and solving customer problems
Helpful skills and experience
- Strong UX and design skills and familiarity with design tools, e.g. Sketch or Figma
- Strong technical understanding, as well as knowledge and experience of lean product development methodologies
- A track record of working collaboratively with engineers to help prioritize technical trade-offs
- Ability to read external API specifications and understand what is technically feasible
- Excellent written and communication skills, especially being able to break down customer problems or product specifications into simple and clear documentation
- Ability to query, interpret, and dig into data using a tool such as Looker, to form strong data-informed decisions. Basic SQL experience is useful but not required.
- Knowledge of key SaaS metrics definitions such as MRR, Churn, LTV, CAC, ARPU.
- Experience with growth tactics (e.g. a/b testing) and statistics concepts (e.g. statistical significance)
- Experience with, or a desire to learn, customer and UX research interviews
- An appreciation for accessibility, inclusivity, and empathy in product design and development
- Finding fulfillment in starting a new project from scratch as well as seeing something through to completion
- Stakeholder management skills — you have a track record of successfully taking in a lot of input and conflicting requests while still moving forward at a fast pace
- Previous experience building a product or company is useful but not required
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer’s cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here’s a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you’ll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you’re excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
- Technology: Get hooked up with a laptop to do your best work + $500 to set up your home office.
- Learning & development stipend: We offer a small stipend for any course or training they’d like to do + conference stipends!
- Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US based.
- Salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $97,000 to $129,000 USD per year.
- Work remotely: Live and work from wherever you feel happiest.
- Stock options: Joining the Buffer journey means you can choose to own part of the company.
- Unlimited time off: We encourage you to take three weeks off per year at the very least!
- Retreats: Join us on annual international company retreats! Our most recent retreat was in Singapore.
- Free books (and a Kindle Paperwhite): All you can read, no questions asked.
- Family Leave: If your family grows during your time at Buffer, we recommend taking 3 months of family leave, regardless of when you joined.
Where You’ll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product. You’ll work where you’re happiest and most productive, in the place that helps you to become the person you wish to be.
Here’s our tentative transparent hiring timeline:
Oct 24 - Nov 19: Apply to join the team!
Nov 19 - 26 : We’ll spend time reviewing applications
Nov 26 - Dec 21: Follow-up interviews with the team